Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Blue Ridge Parkway 75th Anniversary Commemorative Quilt

One of the coolest activities here in the mountains is a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway.  The turning of the leaves was breathtaking in October.  I haven't quite figured out how to capture any of the 500+ pictures we took, but I will, eventually.

What I AM working on is a 36" x 16" panel of an 84" x 100" quilt that the Asheville Quilt Guild has been asked to make to celebrate the parkway's 75th anniversary.  The quilt will be on permanent exhibit at the Folk Art Center, located on the parkway.

I've decided on a spray of pink dogwood, since dogwood is our state flower/tree- it's really a tree, but looks so much like a flower!  I'm using 4 different pinks that I hand dyed last week.

 
this is my drawing of the dogwoods
 

here is my inspiration photo (left) and the drawing (right)
 
108 dogwood bracts (petals) ready to be machine appliqued onto the background fabric

No comments:

Post a Comment